Skip to main content

Our Lady of the Sioux Church

Our Lady of the Sioux

  • Address: Our Lady of the Sioux, Oglala, SD 57764
  • Phone Number: 605-867-1518
  • Hours of Operation: Weekend Mass
    Sundays at 9 AM

    For a detailed schedule of all Weekday Mass, Confessions, Holy Days and other events, please visit our events calendar.


The first sod and log church in the village community of Oglala was also used as a meetinghouse. In 1916 Fr. Plasidus Sialm, S.J. built a frame church named St. Elizabeth’s with $750 donated by a woman whose first name was Elizabeth. In the 1960s Fr. Paul Steinmetz, S.J. moved a church building located in the Wolf Creek community to Oglala. St. Elizabeth’s became a meetinghouse, and the new church was named Our Lady of the Sioux. 

On June 4, 1999, a tornado swept through the Oglala area destroying the Our Lady of the Sioux complex. On June 2, 2001, Bishop Blaise Cupich of the Diocese of Rapid City dedicated the new Our Lady of the Sioux Church, along with a new Brother Denny Ryan Center and Brother Rene Hall.